Aug 11, 2012

August 11th Reveal: My Handcrafted Jewelry for Bead Soup Blog Party 6


The Fairy Pools on the Isle of Skye, Scotland
 'As you think thoughts that feel good to you, you'll be in harmony with who you really are.' -Abraham-Hicks

"Fairy Pools"

Like the beautiful "Fairy Pools" in Scotland, the handcrafted ceramic focal Margareta Saari of Mags-koruja sent me from Finland is blue and lavender, with a gentle pattern of waves. There is a sense of motion and tranquility. Finland artist Othel Lehto made the amazing focal, and I wanted very much to give justice to its beauty. Creating jewelry for this focal was the most challenging of all the soup: I wanted the jewelry to be unusual, serene. Creating "Fairy Pools" jewelry was an artistic journey: it took me several days, and I didn't have an image of the completed design. Instead, I knew I wanted  an asymmetrical design with juxtaposed texture: soft textile weave and metal weave, and I followed my heart. 

I began with silk hand knotting and chainmaille, and by the time my necklace using the ceramic focal was created, I was so inspired by the beautiful, new beads Margareta had sent me, I had created 9 pieces of jewelry for our reveal!! And had time provided me one more day, I would have made a decathlon out of it and posted ten, lol ;)

I'm still creating thanks to Margareta's generosity: on my bead table is the adorable lamp work bumblebee by Finland artist Jane Myrsky (perfect for and destined to become Beads of Courage jewelry) and the 'extras' Margareta sent, including ornate black beads just calling out to become Spanish style jewelry with rojo leather and salsa music playing softly in the background....

Here are my 9 jewelry pieces. First, "Fairy Pools" --


"Fairy Pools" silk hand-knotted gemstone beads, swarovski & Czech crystal, and Finnish handcrafted ceramic beads.

I began with silk and created the layering necklace first. Handcrafted Finnish rectangle ceramic beads with blue & lavender crackle quartz coins, lapis lazuli, faceted fluorite, and amethyst all hand knotted together on 2 meters of navy silk cord. I added a clasp secured with French wire so the necklace can be worn as a lariat or layered however one might wish.


Czech glass rings are woven into the byzantine chain
As I hand knotted the silk and beads, I also worked on chain maille for the focal. Inspired by the Czech iris donuts I had layered on suede cord for the focal, I began creating hand made purple, gunmetal, and dark blue Artistic wire jump rings to weave with the iris blue Czech glass rings. Meditative and detailed, chainmaille is a technique that can't be rushed; the simple byzantine chain took several afternoons to complete.




 The aystemetric necklace came to life! I like the way the balance -- ying/yang played out! Suede with iris glass rings and cobalt blue Panda beads; iris glass rings in byzantine with vintage lucite beads.



 I like the colorplay on the colorway! :)





I also love how the colorway goes well with Shelly Graham Turner's adorable owl and flower I just received :)



 The hand knotted silk necklace and the focal necklace chains all together. It's a very cool, yet classic design.



 The handcrafted Finnish ceramic focal included the cut out leaf charm, which I tied into suede to create a toggle bar. I used macrame for the clasp, learning I need a lot more practice at macrame, but I loved having a reason to purchase "Bohemian Inspired Jewelry" by Siegel and Eurto.

Ceramic, leather, and Czech glass byzantine earrings

 The earrings built themselves! Margareta's soup ingredients included pretty leather Margareta had braided a little, perfect for transforming the pretty ceramic beads into earrings!

 ***


"Synchronicity"
There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle. -- Albert Einstein
"Synchronicity"

In early July, Margareta gifted an ornate sterling silver clasp for my bead soup -- the infinity symbol -- along with a lovely marquis silver charm with the word  and figure eight symbol. The clasp became very empowering and special. When Margareta and I sent second soups, she included another charm with the word "joy" -- a way of being and seeing the world that my family holds dear. The synchronicity is affirming as we exchange bead soups between Finland and the U.S. as comfortably and easily as having coffee and sharing with a friend next door.

I created the lovely charm bracelet in honor of infinity, joy, and most of all, my eldest daughter. I'm convinced she's been happily beading with me. One particularly busy beading day, bead table piled high with projects, findings, organizers, tools and beads, I simply felt appreciation for the possibility that she could indeed be beading! With contentment I created flowers, enjoying the feel of beadwork and the focus of Right Angle Weave. Suddenly a flash got my attention, and there in the center of my bead table was a sparkling Hello Kitty charm, Chrissy's favorite! (She once incited an uproar of controversy in her women's studies class sticking up for "Hello Kitty Smart & Pretty" as a powerful feminist symbol. After that, Kitty and Chrissy were BFFs).

It was a charm that didn't belong to my findings or materials over flowing upon my table. It seemed to simply have appeared, in perfect timing, with love. It gave me thrill bumps. I was on to something ...


Christina  Nov 29, 1983 - July 15, 2012

My clasp jewelry is a bracelet for my beloved Chrissy, smart & pretty :) along with the beautiful faceted squares of quartz crystal from Margareta, and a special lampwork set by Star Girl Joolz & Lampwork Glass Beads by Marianna, "Meadow," from my youngest daughter.











***
"Fair Trade"
Top of the Table Mountain, Africa


"I am deliberate and I am afraid of nothing' -- Audre Lorde

"Fair Trade"


Margareta also showered me with awesome African beads and glass! The fair trade beads are rich and organic, with generous tube shapes and larger sizes. As I considered creating big & bold jewelry, I immediately knew I wanted to create a necklace for my spouse. I was so pleased the ceramic beads I just received from Marti's Buttons and Beads (made with dog combs and dog brushes for the texture -- how I love that!)  looked amazing with the African clay beads! 

Black agate tube bead, ceramic beads from Marti C on Etsy, African glass and beads.




I love the texture of the ceramic and recycled glass (the bicones are opaque glass too ) and appreciate the detailing and design of the beads together! I really like this necklace! Thank you, Marti &Margareta :)



***
"Garnet"


"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change." -- Dr. Wayne Dyer

"Garnet"

This necklace came together so easily; the garnet drops, lavender pearls, amber-lavender AB crystal rocks and rondelles, and small fine quality garnet rounds effortlessly embraced the natural geode pendant. It was if it were a magic rock. Likewise, the copper chain fit and draped perfectly next to the strung gemstone beads as if it had always been meant to be a part of the garnet necklace.


 I love the warm copper shades next to the beautiful lavender pearls Margareta shared. The beautiful, fine finish of the freshwater pearls is as rich as the sparkling crystals. 



And the special treasure of the entire necklace: the handcrafted lampwork spiral bead! The gorgeous lilac glass bead by Finland artist Sara Welander is lovely and regal centered in a row of perfect round garnets while the geode is topped with garnet drops.





The healing properties of the necklace -- the gemstones and the copper -- are strong. According to Shimmerlings, "copper is such a wonderful physical conductor of electricity and heat, it is also considered the conductor of the spiritualist's belief system ... copper has the ability to conduct spiritual energy back and forth between individuals, crystals, auras, the mind and the spirit world. It is also believed that copper has the power to amplify thoughts when sending and receiving psychic communications."

Czech leaves from my amazing bead soup mix are hugged by amber and plum crystals.
 My favorite metal to wear, the necklace feels relaxing and healing to wear.  It's warm yet light and makes a gentle rustling. My heart sings!!





 
***
"Tropical Paradise" 
Dolphins enjoy the Florida sunshine ("Share a Little Sunshine" weekly photos)
 'Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.' - Margaret Mead


"Tropical Paradise"
Margareta completely surprised me with a second gift package! She sent along more beads for our rosary exchange (August 26) and this turquoise and pyrite cabochon. I had a goal of using all the bead soup, and I wanted to honor and use something from her second surprise package as well: the lovely focal! The green and blue mosaic beauty of this focal is just like nature in Orlando: whether sky or ocean, trees or flowers, dolphins or manatees, the lushness of Mother Nature and sunshine abounds here in 'The City Beautiful'  and 'the Sunshine State'!


I added Tina Holden's beautiful polymer flowers, MOP cubes, mosaic turquoise, teal quartz, pyrite, and indicolite Swarovski bicones. The simple strung necklace is lovely!


Going green with jewelry feels great. Orlando is one of the healthiest cities in America, with fresh ocean air that breezes across the peninsula. The turquoise with pyrite focal reminds me of home, of our tropical fairy forest.



 Thank you for everything, Margareta !! :)


***
"Astarte"

"Astarte"

 'The more Source-like you become, the more intergalacticaly you are interacting." -- Abraham-Hicks 

Meeting Margareta Saari and other jewelry artists of Finland has been a wonderful experience. The beauty of Finland is reflected in Margareta and in her jewelry. I'm honored to be Margareta's BSBP6 partner and friend. 

I feel connected with the world in a broader way now, and although I've wished for as long as I could remember to some day see the aurora borealis, Northern Lights, receiving mail with stamps of the aurora borealis has been incredible! Sharing my love of jewelry arts with Finland is incredible!:) Now more than I ever do I appreciate the magical display of the Northern night sky and those who are blanketed by that magic.

In honor of the aurora borealis and the gorgeous silk ribbon in my bead soup, I created a simple yet colorful and iridescent necklace with Panda beads and fairy crosses: 






***

I'm proud to say I used everything in the Finnish soup Margareta sent me! I enjoyed the challenge of creating with beads chosen for me and gifted to me. I was honored to learn about and even meet the many gifted jewelry and bead artists of Finland. The Bead Soup Blog Hop Party has been a big experience: a great way to share, focus and grow. I appreciate Lori Anderson's graceful hosting, and all the amazing community creativity that makes the Bead Soup Blog Hop Parties rock on!


Big Hugs, TJ 

This is a blog hop! :)  
To visit  my partner's jewelry reveal: Margareta Saari of Mags-koruja click here

For BSBP6 previous posts, bead soup pictures, and lists of all participants for each BSBP reveal, visit my special blog addition TJ in BSBP6

For a beautiful website of the all of the participants' jewelry, store links, blogs, and websites visit Fusion Muse's BSBP6 clearinghouse and click on the reveal you'd like to explore, or browse the home page for rules on Lori Anderson's BSBParties and how to participate.

 
Toltec Jewels is an author by day and jewelry artist by night. Her literary work is housed by the San Fransisco MOMA in a permanent collection of mixed media art and is published internationally in popular magazines, literary quarterlies, and university publications. A gemstone collector and jewelry lover, her store offers gemstone beads and she is happiest when creating handcrafted jewelry with her entire family. She has won a number of awards for both her literary and jewelry art.

 She is also the creator of Jewel School Friends, a community of expert and emerging jewelry artisans taking inspiration from each other, Jewel School, and jewelry art culture by featuring jewelry designers and bead artists and supporting entrepreneurship for independent artisans. Join her at Jewel School Friends on Facebook for tutorials, community events, challenges, and fundraisers.  

62 comments:

  1. Fairy, Garnet and Astarte jewellery are the best. I love it. I could wear about 90% of these.

    best,
    Agata Grygiel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - Lots of amazing work!!! Great job! Love the inspirations :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. The jewelry, the photos, the quotes. I'm enchanted. And I've got to visit Scotland! Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading and reading, looking at the inspirational colorways, looking at the amazing designs you have created... I love your beautiful and profound text, Rita, I appreciate your lovely words, thank you for being such a great partner and friend! You made wonders out of the simple and mono-coloured soup I sent. If I would pick just one for my favourite - it is difficult, I love them all! - but, it must be the charm bracelet :-D It is such a heartfelt design. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Rita <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mags...Just wanted you to know that I love what you did with the fossil pendant...the completed look is so rich! Also thank you very much for the referral! I wasn't able to post on your blog. Blessings to you <3

      Delete
  5. Rita - All I can say is wow! Seeing all your beautiful creations made me feel so happy! The colrs are so soothing. The mix of textures and shapes is inspired. Super job, my on-line beading friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! You really outdid yourself! The purple is my favorite (hails to my Scottish background and emphasizes I REALLY need to get there soon). I'm impressed with the care you took with your designs -- thank you so much!!! And I've been thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the stories. Love the pieces. Did you do all the research as you were going along, or did you know all these places and things about Scotland before you started?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! How many beads did you get?! They are all so fabulous...love the first one and the third one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in awe with all the beautiful pieces you made and love how you got your inspiration from gorgeous scenery! The first photo of Fairy Pools is just unbelievably beautiful! You are an amazing artist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As if people haven't said WOW enough...I will say it again! WOW!!! Your creativity is amazing my friend! I love them all but my favorite is "Synchronicity". As you tell the story of Chrissy and Hello Kitty, I can feel the energy, love and joy! It brought happy tears <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. 9 pieces woooooow and all of them are very nice

    ReplyDelete
  12. All all of your pieces are gorgeous. They are filled with creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that each of your pieces has a theme behind it. What wonderful inspiration in those photos you shared. The fair trade piece has to be my favorite, though I do love the color scheme of the fairy pools. Wonderfully done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - so many wonderful designs you have created from those wonderful soup goodies! All are fantasticly different and wonderful in their own right - though I have to say I love the aurora borealis piece - I think that is as close as I coming to the Northern Lights :) Wonderful pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your designs are awesome and I adore Hello Kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you made so many fabulous pieces with your soup! I love the colorways and the chainmaille. And thanks for sharing the quotes with us--good food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, what a bounty you had there! Your pieces are so spiritual and well-thought-out. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You created so many beautiful things! I am in awe. I think your "Garnet" necklace is by far my favorite. I have a weakness for gemmy beads. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Incredible designs and I love how you shared the inspirational photos. If I had to just choose one it would be the "Astarte"

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the geode and the northern lights necklaces. They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. your words and your jewellery are pure poetry. You have a real gift to move people :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Incredible designing and creating! I don't know which I love more your blog or your jewelry you created! I find it so inspiring when a person can weave the thought process into their jewelry. You kept me spellbound to your blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW..! Beautiful pieces..! Especially I really love necklace with byzantine chain..! I like the way you connect the story in a picture with your design...mmm very inspiring..! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMGoodness, what beautiful creations you made!! I am in total AWE of your blog too! How you showed all your inspirations and how you choose your designs... AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, wow, wow! Wonderful pieces, great inspiration! Really, really love the amethyst piece!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, your work is gorgeous and the phots and stories inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my goodness! I am just about speechless. Amazing work!!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. Thank you for creating and sharing all these wonderful pieces. My sister wants to create something using the byzantine design. I wasn't feeling all that into it but she convinced me to order some materials. We just ordered our jumprings yesterday. You have given me some wonderful inspiration. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am in awe. Your jewelry and your writing are simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow, your work and words are an inspiration, just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow! what an amazing bead soup. beautiful work! ~diana

    ReplyDelete
  31. All of your creations and inspiration photos are beautiful. My favorite piece is the Garnet necklace it is gorgeous.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  32. The bracelet in memory of your daughter is such a special thing- what a lovely picture. Your creations are beautiful and the variety is truly astounding.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your pieces and photograps are wonderful, I enjoyed reading your post. Great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. You were really busy, such an amazing display of beautiful creations. I do not know if I can pick a favorite, they are all really great.
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the thought and sentiment behind your stunning collection! So beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow. You made a ton of stuff. All of the pieces are so pretty and I love he colors you're working with. Amazing chain maille! What a lovely collection.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What an amazing collection! I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  38. you worked so very hard. Beautiful pieces/words. I remember the Hello Kitty scandal-lol.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow! You have created so many pieces! Amazing chain maille work. Love the chain maille earrings. So interesting! I would say Hello Kitty bracelet is my favorite! LOVE it! I am a fan of the cat without a mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Goodness! As I scrolled down each piece became my favourite. They are all wonderful. Thank you for the lovely tour.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I could not choose a favourite: love them all! In fact I enjoyed the whole blog post! Loved the photos, jewelry and your words as well. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Gorgeousssss designs,, inspiring post with so much beauty! My fav post ever!!!!!! Really luv the aystemetric necklace..
    Ty

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm not even sure where to begin! I keep scrolling up and down, it is all so wonderful and vibrant! Really beautiful pieces, all.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Totally love your work, your blog, your pics and your inspiration.
    A beautiful experience.

    Thank you ~
    BrooklynBeadGoddess

    ReplyDelete
  45. You have been a busy beader! I admire you for having so many ideas. The purple piece is the best for me and the photo along with it was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh, my, your pieces are gorgeous, but the story behind the pieces is what had me captured. You shared many wonderful lessons with us here, my friend, most had nothing to do with jewelry. It was a pleasure. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Absolutely beautiful. A great diversity. Cannot choose a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  48. All your pieces are so beautiful, not just in design, not just in colors used, but that you put a little bit of your heart in every piece. Thank you for sharing your thoughts that went with all you made. xo

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love everything you created, they are all gorgeous. I love the colors and your design style is beautiful. I really enjoyed reading about each design.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wonderful, unbelievable! They are words not enough! You are an amazing artist!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I must say that while I usually scroll down 1st to see pics that people posted, in your case, your words drew me in & I loved reading about the exchange almost as much, if not more, than the photos. You have a wonderful way with words Rita. I got goosebumps reading about the Hello Kitty charm that found it's way onto your beading table. Chrissy is & will be with you always. Great blog post & big hugs to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  52. WOW!! fantastic job on your soup. Some many pieces & they all are very creative & unique.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Wow! What stunning soup and you have made so many beautiful designs with it impossible to choose a favourite and your descriptions were a joy to read.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  54. Love them all. The way that you used the suede cord in the necklace is great.

    ReplyDelete
  55. All of your pieces are just amazing! And I loved reading about the process of creation!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wow, all your pieces are awesome. And that little owl is super cute. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Wow! I am in awe of all your gorgeous pieces! You did such a great job! I really enjoyed reading your post...I just kept scrolling and scrolling. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  58. Wow! no WOW!!!! Beautiful bowl of soup and wonderful creations! I love each and every piece. Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  59. Rita, not only is your soup perfection, but your post was wonderful. Thanks for so much beauty! Luv ya

    ReplyDelete

Gracias for your comments and for visiting! I appreciate every word :)
Namaste --
Rita